What is the Northwestern Outdoor Leadership Institute?
My wife, Toni, and I created the Northwestern Outdoor Leadership Institute (NOLI) in 2002 as an alternative to traditional school systems. We modeled our program after the teaching practices of other non-traditional schools that had successful track records. Over the years, Toni and I tested, modified, or discarded those approaches while continually developing our ideas. The outcome of this process is an entirely unique educational system that today serves as a model for other alternative schools.
We believe that being well-educated is more than being prepared for the workforce.
Our primary mission is to teach children to ‘learn how to learn’ so they can pursue their dreams and become successful adults who are adept at solving problems; this is a core thread woven into all our programs, including our:
• Farm, Ranch and Nature Day Camps - For children ages 6-9
• One-Week Primitive Camping and Bushcraft Camps - For Preteens
• Two- to Seven-Week Full Immersion Wilderness Camps - For Teens
• Distance Learning Programs
• K-12 Boarding and Day School
In each of these settings, we evaluate every child and craft a unique curriculum.